RAS Conference 2018
Theme, Lectures, Speakers, Excursion
Roman Army School 2018 will run from Saturday 24th to Tuesday 27th March 2018, at St Chad's College, University of Durham. This year the theme is:
Military Commanders and Other Officers of the Army
The speakers will include:
- Jorit Wintjes on General Lucius Quietus.
- Beryl Elliott on Galla Placida.
- Dr Jon Coulston of St Andrews University on officers and soldiers on Trajan's Column.
- Graham Sumner on officers' clothing.
- Richard Bridgland on Naval officers.
- Kurt Kleeman on 30 years at Remagen.
- Jonathan Eaton on Centurions.
- Professor David Breeze on career structures in the Roman army
- Dr Rob Collins on the end of Hadrian's Wall.
- Mark Corby will offer a retrospective view of Roman officers based on his own military service.
- Professor Valerie Maxfield on Roman military decorations.
- Ernest Black on a general's strategic planning in Brtitain in the 170s.
View or download the draft programme here.
This year we will visit Carvoran, Chesters and Corbridge on Hadrian's Wall to look at barrack blocks and officers' houses. The excursion departs from Durham after breakfast on the Saturday, so it may be necessary to arrive on Friday evening and have an additional night's accommodation.
The excursion is organized by the Hadrianic Society but all Roman Army School delegates are very welcome to participate in the excursion.